Rapenburg 67-73, Leiden
2311 GJ Leiden
Phone: 071 527 3290
This location on the map
- Large Auditorium
- Small Auditorium
- Senate Room
- Garden Room
- Curator's Room
Travelling by public transport? Plan your journey at 9292
Visitors arriving by plane at Schiphol airport can take the train to Leiden. Trains depart regularly (every 10 mins) and the trip takes about 20 minutes.
- From Leiden Central Station, take the main exit towards the Centre.
- Cross the station square and keep to the right side of the road. Take the Stationsweg and then the Steenstraat and continue across the Blauwpoort bridge.
- On leaving the bridge, turn right and take the Prinsessekade, which will continue into the Korte Rapenburg.
- Cross the street and you are on the Rapenburg. You will find the Academy Building on your right hand-side.
Taxis are located at the front of the station.
Buses stop in front of the train station. You need a bus that travels along the Breestraat.
- Ask the driver to let you know when you are at the bus stop in the Breestraat.
- Walk along the Breestraat and turn right into the Pieterskerkchoorsteeg.
- Follow this street until you get to the Pieterskerk (church) and the Pieterskerkhof.
- Cross this square towards the Kloksteeg and at the end of the Kloksteeg you will arrive at the Rapenburg.
By car coming from Amsterdam: the A44 is the best route to take. Make sure you take the A44, not the A4 which also connects Amsterdam, Leiden and The Hague, but runs along the other side of the city!
- Turn off at the "Leiden" exit, and drive towards the city. After a while you will pass under the railway line.
- Make sure you take the right lane, as you will have to go straight on into the Mors Singel at the traffic lights just after the railway line (do not take the tunnel on your left).
- Turn right into the Morsweg. Follow the Morsweg, until you reach a railway crossing.
- Cross the railway line and turn immediately left over the bridge.
- Turn left again at the traffic lights into the Haagweg; (just after the second railway crossing there is a car park (see below).
- After the railway crossing, turn immediately right over the bridge into the Witte Singel. Follow this road for some time (it twists and turns). You will see the old Observatory buildings across the water on your left.
- Soon afterwards, turn left across the bridge (almost opposite no. 80) into Kaiserstraat.
- At the canal Rapenburg, turn right.
- Continue until you can turn left over the Rapenburg at the next bridge. You can park your car on the right or turn left and park somewhere along the canal (Note: car parking has to be paid at a meter).
- Take the “Zoeterwoude” exit and follow the direction towards Leiden (this is the N206).
- Turn left at the first junction in the direction of Katwijk (not the centre of Leiden) and very quickly right at the first major junction (still in the direction of Katwijk). You are now on the Churchillaan.
- When you reach the junction (with traffic lights) with the Haagweg, turn right at the traffic lights in the direction of Leiden centre. (On the right-hand side, just past the railway crossing, there is a car park.)
- After the railway crossing, turn immediately right over the bridge into the Witte Singel.
- Follow this road for some time (it twists and turns). You will see the old Observatory buildings across the water on your left.
- Soon afterwards, turn left across the bridge, into Kaiserstraat.
- At the Rapenburg canal, turn right. Continue until you can turn left over the Rapenburg at the next bridge. You can park your car on the right or turn left and park somewhere along the canal (Note: car parking has to be paid at a meter).
You can also leave your car at the University’s central car park, which is located at the Maliebaan in the centre. It takes about 10 minutes to get from the car park to the Academy Building.
- Cross the Witte Singel and the wooden bridge on the other side.
- Follow the road, then turn right and enter the Doelensteeg. This little alley will take you to the Rapenburg.
- On the Rapenburg, keep to the right side of the canal. You will find the Academy Building on your right hand side.